There’s something so comforting about a warm, nourishing bowl on a cold winter night.
Here in the Northeast it’s been absolutely frigid lately! So cold that all I want to do is snuggle on the couch with my pup & seven blankets!! And I may or may not have been doing that lately. Self-care right?!
For me, having a warming bowl of soup or anything with a broth brings me back to my childhood. My mom and my nana ALWAYS made homemade soups. And still to this day it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Not only is this extremely warming, but it’s highly delicious too!
Shredded chicken, kale, chickpeas, curry spices, & coconut milk. Drool!
This has to be in my top 5 recipes during the cold months. It’s SO easy to throw together and we usually have all of the ingredients on hand.
There’s nothing better than a giant bowl full of warm, nutrient-dense foods that was ALSO cooked in the crockpot while you worked. #WINNING!!!!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 hours
Makes approximately 3-4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inch knob of ginger, peeled & finely minced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14 ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut cream
- 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro *
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced*
- lime wedges *
- Into the crockpot, place package of chicken thighs followed by onions, garlic, and ginger. Season mixture well with curry power, sea salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Next add chicken broth to the mixture and the entire can of drained chickpeas.
- Place lid on the crockpot and high on low for 8 hours.
- While still hot, add entire can of coconut cream and mix to combine. Next add kale to the hot curry until soft and mixed throughout the curry.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions, and/or lime wedges if desired.
- Enjoy while hot!